Thursday, April 1, 2010

Doing well with what you have


I can say that I like to have a neat home. I am proud of my house, my belongings and I like to take care of them. I wouldnt say I am anal about it, but I am not like other many other people I read about on other blogs that seem to shun "buying the latest trends" or "buying things you dont need". Do I really need framed art? All those cooking gagets? I am sure there are plenty of things I can do without. But I AM good at balance. I don't have tons of shoes or piles of unused items all over my house. I use or enjoy everything I own.
Lately, we have been strapped for cash. Spring is here and the desire to clean the house up, look nice and do things around the home is strong. But with little money available, I have had to look at ways I can revamp the items I already own. I have learned a couple things. First off, if I want something I see at the store, I walk away. I think about it. I may even leave. I mull it over. Do I WANT it or NEED it? Would I really use it? Is there some place else I would rather spend this money. And then I dont want it! I have also learned that I can be pretty crafty when I want to and have managed to pull off some nice projects in the house with little to no money. Heres what we did this week.
Project one- Outdoor living space
I wanted a outdoor table set. We spend tons of time in the yard and have a nice covered gazebo, so we would use it. But cheap ones that would break in a year were over $100. Money we didnt have. Instead, I took an old picnic table that had seen better days and cut the seats off with a sawzall. I purchased a pretty bright plastic table clouth and picnic table clamps and covered the top. I found some old plastic chairs (6) that looked bad, but worked fine and purchased some coordinating seat cusions. They were the cheap indoor kind, but I'll take them in when we are done for the evening. Lastly, I found 2 small candle lanterns and put them on the table. It looks perfect and cost me under $20! I will post pics, I promise!
Project two- cleaning up the cleaning supplies
I ran out of every cleaning product I own. I debated just going the vinegar and water route, but I can't get past the smell. So, I found at a locale discount retailer a mix your own cleaning solution kit. For $3.00 I purchased 3 all natual mixing solutions and the bottle! What a steal! While I was there, I spotted soap containers that had tops that appeared to be the same size as a canning jar. Well. I have tons at home, so I purchased a top for .59 cents. Sure enough, it fit just fine. Today, I found Dials new eco-friendly soap refills in a plastic bag- and now I can stop buying pump soap containers! Oh yeah and it looks really nice and country too :)
Project three- Custom curtains
My sister wanted some new drapes for her french doors. Walking though a second hand shop, I found some super nice thick material. So, just for her, I have made 2 panels of insulated orange curtains. And they cost me $12!! I have done this several times in my own home and I love the way they come out!

No comments:

Post a Comment