Thursday, January 14, 2010

aaahh... winter in Maine!

Woke up to a cold one this morning! I thought I had the woodstove dampered down enough last night, but we woke up at 6am to a very cold house. I almost jumped out of my skin when I heard the furnace click on. (We have maybe 1/8 of a tank of oil left which we are trying to preserve for the 2-3 hr time span between the stove going out and us getting home from work). I ran down stairs, still half asleep with just my robe and no slippers on to find a empty, and I mean not a coal in it, woodstove. It was 55 degrees in the main area of the house (where the woodstove is located) and -4 degrees outside!! So, our day started with husband splitting kindling in his pjs and coat and me crumbling up newspapers in my freezing barefeet. I took an extra long hot shower to warm back up. By the time I left for work at 7 the house was up to 65 degrees. I am sure tonight we will have to repeat the whole process- surely it being this cold out the stove will not have kept in warm the 11 hrs we have been away at work.

When I started thinking about leaving work, I also started thinking about dinner (as I mentioned in the last post, trying to save some $$) and what I could make tonight that we have in the house. Due to the extreamly brisk weather outside, I think we need something hearty. I've decided tonights menu will be country ribs, roasted potatoes & carrots, corn and homemade bisquits. I might even bake some brownies for dessert!

This time of year can be a little long in New England. Our Winters, especailly here in Maine, can be mind numbingly cold. And its cold for so long. Its only January and I am ready for spring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment