Monday, May 17, 2010

home made laundry detergent


So last night, after much persuading by my sister, we made a large batch of home made laundry detergent. We found a receipe online and had all the suppys handy. Off to walmart we went in search of something to store it in and we lucked out. We found a 5 gallon water jug (like the kind you put on a home water dispenser) and it had a handle and a lid. It cost us $7 but was well worth it.

We decided to alter the recipe a little, but steeping a nylon full of lavendar in the boiling soap mixture. This does make it smell nice, but don't use a colored nylon...duh.....our batch is kinda black! Definetly wont be using it on my whites! Whoops!

Anyway, heres the receipe we used-

3 gallons water

1/2 bar ivory soap shaved and boiled in 3 cups hot water

1/2 cup borax

1/2 cup washing soda


Overnight it gelled up and it now looks like store bought laundry detergent gel! It smells good, but not sure how much of that will carry over to the washer clothes. I plan on trying it out tonight. I have a frontload HE washer, so I plan on using very little until I figure out how well it works.

We will see!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment