Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tonights the night!

Tonight is the night I wait for all winter! I am starting my vegetable seeds! I really love this task every year. To me, its the first sign of spring and a real test of what the growing year is going to be like. Some years I do well, others I do not.

The last couple years I have done this way too early. This year I gave myself some extra weeks. Its been 50 degrees several times here this month and I think we are in for an early spring. Every year my technique gets a little better. Last year I had full size plants on my hands and no room before the weather was ready for the little guys. I lost a bunch. Hopefully, this year plays out better.

I have learned a few rules. I don't start corn inside, that goes straight to the ground in the spring. Beans as well. We really don't eat tomatoes, so I don't waste the space, I just buy a flat from the farmers union. I have some good goals for this growing season. I am doing a large corn crop in a seperate garden, on my sisters side of the lot. Hopefully, I will do well on the cucumbers this year so I can can pickles. (last year the excessive rain killed my whole crop). Watermelon ALMOST made it last year and the rain killed them too, so hopefully we have some success this year. I will try my best to get some photos on this darn blog soon!

Heres the full plan for 2010:
Fruits-
  • highbush blueberries (already planted)
  • Rraspberries (already planted)
  • groundcover strawberries (new this year)
  • shortvine watermelon

Vegetables-

  • tomatoes
  • bush green beans
  • salad & pickling cucumbers
  • carrots
  • rhubarb (already planted)
  • corn
  • pumpkins
  • hot peppers
  • bell peppers

Herbs-

  • dill
  • basil
  • oregano
  • chives
  • mint & spearmint

No comments:

Post a Comment